Search This Blog

Monday 10 November 2008

No 20 WEEKLY NEWSLETTER


On Friday afternoon we looked at the pitch, the water that laid on it and the weather forecast and knew we’d have a tough time getting the first team game with Arundel on. Overnight rain and a second look meant we had to call a ref to confirm that the pitch was unplayable. Arundel may feel that they would have really wanted to play having come off the back of seven (I think) winning games on the bounce. But we too felt good about the encounter as we had 5 players back after suspensions, holidays etc. So we’ll meet them another day.
On the subject of Arundel I think they must be candidates to be somewhere at the top come the end of the season. I’ve seen them play twice in the last few weeks - against Selsey and against Pagham - where they came out winners twice and I have to say though I thought they didn’t look world beaters. I thought that their passing and movement was not as quick or effective as some I’ve seen at this level but I guess that can be a mark of champions - winning games but not necessarily playing great. I think they are a good side but I think all teams in division one will lose games and it should make for a tight finale at the top of the table.
At the other end of the table I went to watch Hassocks take on Horsham YMCA. YM running out winners 0-2 and Hassocks, I have to say, are in a bit of trouble. They have to be very careful or they’ll be in a fight for survival come the second part of the season after Christmas. I look at the league table and see that we are 15 points away from safety and Hassocks seem to be 30 points away from the same assurance of County one football next term.
Our scheduled game for the reserves against Arundel (by coincidence) followed ours in the no chance stakes. To be fair although they’ve spent a fortune on their pitch it is still situated next to a river. Which is wet. So it was off. The next reserve game is next Friday night against Peacehaven reserves, 7.45 ko. Apparently they’ve spent a load of dosh on their pitch so it’ll be interesting to see if it looks like Wembley or a ploughed field after the recent weather. We all look forward to this fixture. I think all reserve games should be on Friday nights. You’d get all the clubs supporting their sides on a Friday night then all the club with the first teams on Saturdays. In these days of clubs trying to do stuff to generate better revenue, this surely would be a good option.
On Saturday the first eleven travel to Oakwood in the County League division one and both me and Steve will be pleased to see Si Greatwich, Aaron Mac, Dave Altendorf, Craig Brown, Dan Craghill, Ryan Mac and Chris Greatwich all return . Problems with selection in front of us no doubt.
Training is at Falmer 7.30 till 9pm. See you there.

No comments: