Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 December 2008

No 23 RFC WEEKLY NEWSLETTER


With no football on for Ringmer lovers and no loss or draw for the Ringmer haters, we turned our attention to Christmas shopping on Saturday afternoon. Or at least you did if you told yer missus it was off. Not me - Off to Crowborough me mate lol.

Only Pagham were gaining points above us in the rain and we dropped to fourth place as a consequence of not playing (and getting three points) against Wick. I must admit both Steve and I would really have wanted to play this one and, trust me, I was over there forking it at 9 am. To be honest, I had it right at one point and when we came to the decision time just around 10-30 we called it on. Then I went home and during the journey it resembled a scene from a disaster movie with rain hail and all sorts coming down. When I got home I called Ringmer to check if they’d had been affected by the torrential rain and of course they had. Then a re-visit to meet a ref and bing bang bong the game was off. Within five minutes I’d received a call in from Arundel to say they had called theirs off - I bet they didn’t go through the trauma I did….

Training this week for everyone at Falmer 7.30 till 9 pm. On Thursday night for the first team squad we planning a friendly against a Crowborough X1 at Ringmer which is going to be more of a training game for the benefit of players and management. 7.15 on this one.

The next night - Friday - we play our reserve game against Arundel Reserves in the Sussex Intermediate Cup, which was postponed twice - lately last week. As they’ve had two pops at it and it being postponed on both occasions we get a chance to get it on. This is the cup our illustrious reserves got through to the semi-final last term and I’m sure both Ian and Geoff will want to replicate that run. No pressure there then Neil huh? No reason why we cant go one step further and get to the final. 7.15 pm ko on this exciting encounter.

On Saturday our front side make the long journey into East Preston to meet the West Sussex side who have vastly improved since our 6-0 win early in the season. They’ve already taken the scalps of teams that have underestimated their ability to upset teams. So we go there with a full and fit squad with 5 subs who will be busting to get on and do damage.

Writing this on Sunday evening I have just returned - with a lot of other people - from the planned Herve and Oliver King Memorial Game which to be honest took weeks of planning and yeah, cost too. We got there at 1-45 to see a copper on the gate who announced that the game was off. Off. Off?? “Are you mad?” I said to the copper. “They’ve been trying to reach you and its been on the local news…” I’m aware that kids read this Newsletter so I’m not gonna say what I said to Dixon of Dock Green but rest assured it wasn’t “Really mate?”. Detecting my annoyance I was directed to the clubhouse. Within a few seconds I found it was true. They called it off at 1pm but felt that they’d let us come up and have a drink etc.

Lets be clear. Andy Brogan - who sorted all this out with me - was not to blame for the game getting called off - this has to be with Croydon Athletic I’m afraid. Around 3000 people were due to be coming and two hours notice a game is off is not on Croydon. The ref said he’d have played it and from where we were it certainly looked playable.

Ok, we’re not going back to play a game there. We're going to get re-organised and sort out a game at the Caburn very soon. A lot of people have said that Ringmer Football Club should have already sorted a game in memory of Herve and as this has not happened perhaps we can all pull together on this one and actually do this without the animosity and ill feeling that surrounds our club.

In short, lets forget about who owns the pitch. Herve King died on it. Sort it out Ringmer.

No comments: