Search This Blog

Sunday 29 March 2009

No 39 RFC WEEKLY NEWSLETTEE

I’m smart enough to realise that picking a side to win a game is a very small part of team management and whilst you can deliberate over it all week - as me and Steve very often do - you cant legislate for players not being available or being selected for their Country at the last minute. No, Capello didn’t want Mark Price - the Philippine manager called Simon Greenwich - “Get here quick Si” I’m sure was the call - and I hope he made it. He texted me from Singapore saying it was 35 degrees. No sign of any of the other Internationals as they were in Thailand a Si? He can play a bit but he aint got a clue where to play.

Sorry - I digressed - I’m smart enough etc… Both Steve and I really thought that we’d get 3 points on Saturday against Horsham YM, despite the fact we had Alex Mikolay, Mark Price, Aaron Macmillan, Luke Huggett, Simon Greatwich, Jo Tubon and of course the elusive Craig Browne and the injured Aaron Last all unavailable for this (on form) evenly matched encounter. And even it was until about an hour in and we conceded a second and Craggers took an elbow and had to come off and get 5 stitches in his lip - there was no way back. I’m taking nothing away from YM, they are a good side - for me better than some above them who we have beaten at least once - but with the right personnel we would achieved a level of success acceptable on the day. The players, the management and our ever increasing fan base watching did not find it acceptable so we will expect a much better performance and result next Saturday against the rejuvenated Worthing United.

Our skipper, Ryan Macmillan, has agreed to transfer to Whitehawk for the remainder of the season. I feel the need to express my view on this. I was notified by David Ruffles that a seven day approach had been made by Whitehawk and - of course - I called Ryan to let him know. He told me that he knew nothing of the approach and in any event he was going nowhere. I was reassured by his comment and left it there. I had heard that Whitehawk were allegedly paying big money for players so with the knowledge that Ryan was unemployed, I saw him at training on the Tuesday night. I told him that if they made a decent weekly amount, he should consider it. In a recession, you gotta get it where you can. I can see in my mind’s eye certain people who have paid over the top money at our club thinking we should have talked him out of going. Not a chance. I spoke at length to Steve Oliver and we both concluded that if the money was right he should take it. They contacted him a few days later. Ryan called me and discussed the offer and I told him to take it. We wish Ryan every success. We don’t pay the kind of money that’s being offered at some County league clubs. That’s been done here already and we have nothing to show for it other than debt to directors’ or their companies and a football club in Administration.

The reserves dragged themselves down to Selsey for their Reserve Premier encounter and, once again, were unlucky to come back with none of the spoils. 2-1 to Selsey on this one but with a mini-bus as transport commardare was at a premium. I have not yet spoken to Geoff as of yet but I know that we will bounce back next week as they too have players becoming available.
Training is on Tuesday night at Falmer for all then a repetition on Thursday night at the club. We need 4 points to get to the 40 minimum - or 50 if you don’t recognise the 10 gouged from us.

No comments: