Search This Blog

Sunday 18 January 2009

No 30 RFC WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

Watching the encounters and form of other clubs as we all do, I have to say I'm saddened to hear the latest goings-on at Crowborough FC. With several of our last year players signed for the Ryman South side, I had hoped for their survival - at least - in the next step in the pyramid system. I speak to Steve Johnson a lot and I know he'll be disappointed not to have finished the job he started at the beginning of the season. I hope that the ex-Ringmer players together with Steve find happier times soon.

The Tuesday night encounter against Hassocks proved to be a strange game - not least with Mickey Jewell and I being sent off for no offences being committed. And that statement from the ref himself by the way. I try not to go on about refs at all but the one thing I want to say is that refs have to do better than that. No disciplinary report going in but two managers being sent off. I think it needs explaining. What doesn't need explaining is a 2-3 victory though. We were 2 down and finished when we found new vitality to grab three goals and three points. Hassocks will be disappointed but no more than we were when we were winning at 90 minutes against East Preston only to lose 3-2. Its football - thats it.

On Friday we achieved our second win in four days beating Littlehampton in the Brighton Charity Cup. I said in last week's Newsletter that it was a game I really didn't want to play as the timing and our personnel was off line. We left five squad players out giving starting opportunities to others. In my view, we never looked like losing this game and we looked like we could score at will but at times we were defensively vulnerable. But we managed to move on safely into the next round. Forgive me if I don't get too excited about it.

Before you judge that statement as a "manager who doesn't care" - let me explain. A comment was made about the Charity aspect of this competition. If its about the money then Ringmer's involvement wont change that as any club playing will give the end result so its not imperative we're in it. I can see authority figures or ex-authority figures perhaps within our club raising their eyebrows at that statement. Well before you do that, look in the mirror at yourself and decide if you're responsible for the FA deliberating as to whether we now have ten points deducted. If you were involved in putting Ringmer FC into Administration and you feel that your actions have put this club at risk and possibly into division 2, send me an e-mail saying its down to you and I'll include it in next weeks Newsletter. Raised eyebrows now? I await the FA's decision and I think I know what it'll be. I wont hold my breath on any "sorry about that" e-mails.

On Tuesday night we meet Hailsham at their place in a game that very much does matter. In a proverbial 6 pointer - should we be deducted the ten points - we need to win to get ourselves to 34 points (24) and closer to survival. I think it's a 7.45pm ko but check Malc's web site to see.

Neil's reserves went down to Shoreham being let down by three key players on Saturday morning and with time and experience against him, Neil put out a makeshift 11 to play. Inevitably I guess the experience of Shoreham's more senior players saw the home side get the points. Three individual errors didn't help the cause and if you didn't have a great game, saying "I aint playing next week" will result in you sitting home watching Sky Sports on a permanent basis. Get over it and get out there and play. Neil puts you on the park after that its down to you. Be more adult and start getting a winning mentality.

Saturdays games are away at Chichester for the front side and home for the reserves against Southwick. Check Malc's web site for details.

Training for the reserves is at Falmer on Tuesday night and for both squads at the club on Thursday. Deb will send texts with all information. Respond as soon as you can please.

No comments: