Search This Blog

Sunday 25 January 2009

No 31 THE RFC INDEPENDENT WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

Please tell everyone that Herve King’s memorial game is on Sunday 15 February at the Caburn at 2pm ko. I am told its against Three Bridges FC and admission prices are £5 for adults and £2.50 for everyone else. Other clubs read this Newsletter and through it I ask that you inform everyone of this event and make sure that every County league side has representatives at the game.

Training this week is definitely on Tuesday night for all squad members at Falmer and hopefully at the club on Thursday night if it ever stops raining. But it stopped raining long enough for us to get the reserve game on at the Caburn on Saturday. To be honest I felt we didn’t have a chance of getting it on with the amount of rain we’d had through the week – and after the first team game being postponed against Hailsham on Tuesday night - but when I went out there on Friday at around 4pm it looked almost playable. And play it we did against Southwick who, I understand, have many new signings to show. Well apparently we huffed and puffed our way through this slogging contest and came out honours even. I haven’t spoken to either Neil or Geoff yet but I suspect they’ll be happy with a point but disappointed in going a goal down in the first minute. 1 all in this game and hopefully we move one point closer to maintaining our Reserve Premiership status in the County League.

No such similar fortunes for our first eleven. On a pitch that looked ok to start with then resembled a ploughed field at half time, we battled with a resurgent Chichester City FC. We were disappointed not to have the variety of squad players we’ve become used to with Will Broomfield, Dave Altendorf, Luke Huggett, Simon Greatwich, Keiran Patel or Sam Sowter not available but nevertheless we should really have got something from this game. Chi are certainly on the up but our record shows 2 out of 3 wins of late and we’ve scored 9 in three games but in this one we struggled to convert. We lost this one 2-0 and I look forward to meeting Chichester at home later and playing, perhaps, different personnel and most likely a different formation.

Thanks to everyone for the comments about being in The Times newspaper on Saturday. To have our club’s name in the same column as Sir Alex Ferguson and The FA Cup was great. In fact it was great to see Ringmer FC in a national paper and not followed by the word “Administration” I guess. Good to see us in the paper for the right reasons, I think we’d all agree. For the record, they said I knew about this 124 year old rule in the FA Cup. Of course the truth is I did know and it was me who let Fergie know when I talk tactics to him on a Sunday evening…. Ha! – I didn’t have a clue mate. The Sussex FA said play to the end and we did. And we won. If you dunno what we’re talking about see story below for a laugh:

Next week we entertain Wick who are flying high in third place. We beat Wick if you recall earlier this season in a game that was hard fought but great football from both sides. They play a similar way to the way we (try to) play so I’ll make no secret of the fact we’re gonna put a side out there to really get at em. I’m hoping the pitch will be ok and we can play and watch a great game. 3pm at home for the first eleven this Saturday.

The reserves play away at Eastbourne United, similarly 3pm ko too. Neil will notify you of your involvement. I understand that you guys may need to rally round and sort transport as I understand that Deb has an appointment and will not be travelling to the reserve game.

I read that Steve Johnson and Tommo have rejoined their forces to manage East Grinstead Town. I bet that was a wake up call at the first training session. Best of luck to you both.

See you all on Tuesday night.

No comments: